Next Recruitment: January 19th, click here for more info
So, you want to play roller derby or volunteer? Or maybe you’re on the fence about skating?
If you like to have fun, enjoy the excitement of life, and are ready to rock in front of a crowd, then you have the makings of an ACRG league member! And we’re waiting to welcome you!
Now, we know you probably have some questions by now, such as: Should you be on skates or volunteer? What kind of equipment to we use? How often do I need to attend practice?
We’ve answered some of our FAQ’s below. If you can’t find the answer to something, feel free to contact us!
Q: What if I’ve never skated before?
A: That’s okay, we have a training program called Asphalt Assault. We will teach you how to skate like a champ!
Q: What if I’ve never played a sport before?
A: That’s perfectly fine. Now is a great time to start something new and fun.
Q: What if I’m not in shape?
A: All shapes are good for derby. You’re perfect!
Q: Do I have to start running and working out?
A: Sure you do! And we’ll do it with you!
Q: What if I don’t have any gear or even know what to buy?
A: Understandable concern. We have loaner gear available on a first come first serve basis and plenty of helpful ladies to point you in the right direction. We will also provide you with a skater handbook filled with information on what type of gear to get and the best places to get it. If you still have questions, email email@example.com and talk to us, we’ll see how we can help you.
Derby Gear 101
- You’re going to need it! And it does cost a bit. If you’re new, I recommend saving on your skates and going all out on your protective equipment. Why? Well, you’re new, you’re going to be spending a lot of time fighting gravity and gravity is going to win. Yours knees, wrists, and brain will be very happy with this decision.
- You need a helmet. You’ll want one that is not only CPCS certified, but also ATSM certified. That means the helmet can take multiple impacts. Bicycle helmets are made to protect you “in case of” impact, the helmets we recommend are designed to protect you during multiple impacts. We recommend helmets with EPS fusion foam liner instead of soft foam, keep your brain safe! Helmets we think are the bee’s knees:
- Mouth guards!
- Do you like your teeth? We like your beautiful smile too! You’re going to need a mouth guard, it can get rough out there. You can get them at your local sporting goods store, have your dentist make you one that fits your mouth and yours alone (unless you want to share), or you can get a heat molded Mouth Guard.
- Wrists, Elbows, and Knees! Make sure you are getting “roller derby” pads and not just “skating” pads. Just like with helmets, roller derby gear is made for multiple impacts, again and again, and skating pads are made for “in case you fall.” There is no “in case you fall” in derby. You will fall, we all do.
- Just like the perfect pair of jeans is different for everyone, so are the perfect skates. There’s your boot, your plate, your toe stops, your laces, your bearings, and your wheels. And that’s just a rough run down! We recommend getting the skates that best fit your foot type. There are many brands to choose from. You can always ask us questions when you get here or borrow some gear to see what you like.
Q: I’m still not convinced skating is for me, but I still want to be involved with the Alamo City Roller Girls. What can I do?
A: Lots of things! We need volunteers, Non-Skating Officials, and Skating Officials. Please come to tryouts and check out those pages for additional details. There is always a place for everyone who wants to be part of ACRG!